Tuesday 24 June 2008

Rock and Roll and Toilet Bowls

Well, the new band has officially made £5.98 ($11.72) from our first gig playing in the shopping centre of Kingston, London. Of course, this doesn't count the £3.60 Laura and I spent on buses getting there, or the celebratory £1.09 ice cream we bought afterwards. According to my calculations, we will only have to play 930 more gigs to raise enough for our Europe Trip, and only 504 gigs if we scrap the ice creams.

In other news, I am getting kicked out of my dorm for some conference and I have to move to another dorm about a half mile away. Good times. Hopefully the new one will have better plumbing- but I doubt it. For being so much geographically closer to the Romans, England sure has some work to do in the doo-doo department.

Take for example the oddly-shaped commode in my dormitory (photo at right). You can't really tell from the picture, but it is built in such a way that it becomes a quite effective blowhorn, letting everyone in the tri-borough area know what you had for dinner last night.

Also, the sinks: the whole "one spigot hot, one spigot cold" thing has got to go, especially when one is scalding hot and the other has chunks of ice flowing out. Is it too much to ask to have one warm one in the middle? You leave me no choice- I shall boycott washing my hands until the problem is solved. Take that!

Lastly, and this is getting really picky, but there never seem to be any trash bins in the bathrooms. If I am going to boycott clean hands, I better have a nice place to put all of my germy tissues.

And that is about it for now. I am starting to wrap up my time here (only seven school days left). I hope everyone is doing well, and I apologize for wasting your time talking about bathrooms.

- L.Dunn

THING I FORGOT TO BRING TO ENGLAND: CNN.com. Well, at least I intend to leave it here when I go back to the states.

FUNNY THING BITS SAY WRONGLY: I am currently teaching a music unit, and I found out the hard way that Brits don't use Quarter or Eighth notes, but "Crochets" and "Quavers." Which is totally an awesome name for a band.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Where are you now and when are you returning? No need for a clever or well thought out post, just give me a destination and a time.